Thursday, January 22, 2009

Look Who's [not] Talking at PyCon

The schedule is up and it looks good. It is a mix of conference warriors plus some new blood; likewise the talks are a mix of old standards and new topics (some of the new talks are by conference warriors and vice versa).

The familiar names include Brett Cannon (cpython), Jim Baker, (jython), and Michael Foord (ironpython). There is a host of names that might be missing or might not - I can't recall if they do talks every year - but there is no Norwitz, Warsaw, Holden, or Martelli. Noticeably absent is Raymond Hettinger who has given several talks per con at several cons a year. Noticeably present is EVE Online in the form of Richard Tew and Krisjan; with the Icelandic Krona where it is I don't know how they can afford a taxi let alone air fare.

On the new list is Bill Gribble. Bill Gribble gets a free beer for having one of the best names ever (if his Mother shows up she can collect for her work, instead). I bet none of his friends ever start a story "I was having lunch with my friend Bill..." But instead always "I was having lunch with my friend Bill Gribble..." I don't know Gribble from a hole in the wall but I'll make a point of changing that.

[update] Talked to Raymond and he'll be attending, at least (barring life's usual caveats).
[updateder] As Brett and Ivan mention in the comments there is now a tier of invited talks that includes many of the "missing" conference regulars. Glad to have em, the "hall track" is my favorite and many on the invited speakers list make it so.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Neal and Barry hardly every give talks. But Barry, Steve, Alex, and Raymond (as you mentioned) will be there. I think Neal plans to come, but not sure.

Part of the reason Steve and Alex are not listed is because the talk list does not include invited speakers (don't ask me why). The only reason I am listed is because of my panel, but I have an invited talk as well and would have fallen under your list of people missing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jack -- we just announced the invited talks on the keynotes page. You'll find a lot of familiar names :)